Kik groups are nothing but chat rooms where people of similar interests can talk and share their views. This is not like a normal chat but a group chat where there would be more than two participants. Before the term public group came in, the Kik groups were popular by the name hashtags and it was then that people were crazy about it.
If you have an interest, for example, you are interested in Pokémon Go. And you want to look for other people who are interested in Pokémon Go, all you have to do is, type #PokemonGo in the search bar and see the magic. You would see a group with similar name and you can just jump into the conversation.
Public and Private Kik Groups
There are two types of Kik groups. The public ones and the private ones. When a group is public, anybody on the Kik platform can jump in and join the group. However, if you want only a particular set of friends to join the group and don’t want any interference, you can go for a private group. Keep in mind that when you create a private group, you have full control over the group. You decide who joins and who does not.
However, if you think you can do just about anything in public groups, you are wrong. There are certain community standards set by the Kik community and you have to be complaint to them. Otherwise, Kik might ban you from the groups. And if get banned very often, they might take some serious action against you. Better play safe and go through the community guidelines.
What you can do with Kik Groups
- Though there is a limitation on the number of groups you can create at a time, you get awesome features when you join groups. It is an amazing experience, so make sure you live it. Within a time period of 24 hours, you can create as many as 3 groups. To create a 4th group, you need to go beyond 24 hours.
- You can create a group of your interest. And then wait for people to join the conversation.
- You can search for a group and then join the discussion.
- When you join a group and start a conversation, you would notice that Kik provides badges to group members. Even that is fun.
- If you think a group is not right or is not filling the community standards, you also have the power to report it to the Kik community. And if it is your group and someone is not behaving, you can report group members as well.
How to Start a Private Kik Group
A private Kik group is where the owner has full control over who joins and who doesn’t. So, if you want such a group, follow the below steps to create it.
- First of all, go to the + icon.
- Then, click on the “start a Group” button.
- You will get an option to add which friends you want in the group. You can make multiple selection here. Just tick the friends you want and leave the rest.
- Though it is not mandatory, you can choose a group picture and a group name.
- On the top right, there would be a “start” button. Just tap on it.
- And voila, the private group is ready. Happy private texting!
How to Start a Public Kik Group
The basics of starting a private and public group are same. The difference comes only when you have to select who joins the group. So, follow the below steps if you want to start a public group on Kik.
- First of all, click on the + icon.
- Then, choose the option “Public Groups”.
- Again, tap the + icon.
- Then again you get the option to select a picture and the name for the group. We would advise you to add it this time because you actually want your group to appear attractive so that people can join. Also, you have to think of a # name for your group.
- You can invite friends you want to the group. You can also skip this step if you are not concerned what friends should join the group.
- Then, click on “Start”.
- And your public group is ready. Happy Public texting!
There is also an option to share the Kik code of the group. It is an amazing feature if you know how to use it. First of all, you have to open the group conversation and then click on the Group name. You will see an option “Show Kik code”. Click on this option. There, you would find the share option besides it. Once you share it on your profile, you friends can scan the code and join the group.
Let us know your views about the Kik groups in the comments section below.